Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

My Anger Mask

This morning I was trying to plan something to work on with one of my regular students with anger issues when I decided to expand on a lesson I already teach in my anger management groups.  This student has a lot going on at home and we've already been working on the windows activity, but I wanted to get to the root of his anger.  We talked about the anger mask (the activity from Seeing Red: An Anger Management and Peacemaking Curriculum for Kids).  I love this book for so many reasons!  After showing him my anger mask (made out of a paper plate), we made a list of some "unpleasant feelings" on the board: discouraged, jealous, embarassed, hurt, scared, worried, etc.  Next, I gave him his pre-prepared foldable in which to draw his anger mask on the front.  I explained to him that sometimes when we're angry, we're actually feeling something else on the inside.  I give him several examples, such as someone calling you a name....you may show your angry face, but actually you might be feeling hurt.  After drawing his anger mask, we pick out some of the other unpleasant feelings that we may be actually feeling on the inside, and draw them inside the foldable.  It ended up being a great visual (see mine below) and started some great conversations about some of the things causing this little guy to be angry.  I've posted pictures of mine below, but didn't want to show his due to confidentiality, but it was awesome! I'll definitely be doing this activity again!



How do you "dig deeper" to figure out the root of a child's feelings?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Traci! I LOVE your blog. Following you here and on Pinterest, now. Just a thought...have you considered having parents sign consent/release forms for release of completed art projects? When I do this, I tell parents that their child's identity, name or likeness will never be divulged or shown, just pieces of completed artwork for demonstration purposes, to use to train other professionals, etc., etc. You'll need to let them know they can revoke the consent in writing at any time, and you'll also need to add exactly how, where and for how long you'll be utilizing the photos. That's one way to protect the rights of the client/student, as well as their confidentiality, but still be able to use some of the ubere cool pics you get of their work!

    Keep shining bright!

    Wendy @Kidlutions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post mate, thank you for the valuable and useful information. Keep up the good work! FYI, please check these depression, stress and anxiety related articles:

    Depression Cure

    Make Yourself Emotionally Numb

    Ways To Get Rid Of Anger

    Ways To Stop Yourself From Crying

    Ways To Reduce Stress | How To Reduce Stress

    Ways To Forget Unwanted Memories | How to Forget a Bad Memory


    you can also contact me at depressioncure.net@gmail.com for link exchange, article exchange or for advertisement.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete