Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bugs In My Hair?!

Bugs In My Hair?!
Oh, lice.  A topic we are all too familiar with.  My school nurse and I are often entwined in this battle that is all too often lost (it starts as a health issue and can quickly lead to an issue of self-esteem).  We have had several families (especially those who go between houses) who have chronic lice, build up immunities, and often face criticism because of it.  The counselor at the elementary school down the road informed me of a children's book on the topic, so I decided to purchase it and see what it's all about.  The book is called Bugs In My Hair?! by Catherine Stier.  The story is about Ellie LaFleur who is always perfect.  She even washes her hair with Princess Luxury Shampoo.  One day, Ellie gets lice and can't believe it happened to her.  The story goes through all of the procedures that Ellie and her mom have to do to get rid of the lice, and then Ellie learns that it's not such a bad thing after all.  In the end, she even writes a note for kids who get head lice and states "these things happen!"

Reasons I love it:
It takes away the stigma of lice
It debunks the myth that lice only like dirty hair
It helps children feel like they are not alone
It explains what lice are in a kid-friendly way
It covers all of the procedures for removing lice

I think this book will be great for individuals struggling with lice AND classroom guidance!  My hope is that in reading this to a whole class, we can create some empathy and take away the stigma for good!

After all..
These things happen!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, it's amazing the lessons that books like that teach. It sounds like you really enjoy your job. :)

    I'm currently working towards my Bachelor's in Psychology and I'm thinking of going onto graduate school for educational/school psychology in order to become an elementary school counselor. I've done a lot of research on the job but I still can't find what it is exactly that fills an elementary school counselor's time on a day-to-day basis. Would you be willing to fill me in on what your schedule is like, what all you do during the day?

    Anyway, thanks for reading this and I love your blog! Those students are really lucky to have you as their counselor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just posted my schedule for you and others to see. It's crazy, but I do love my job, and I love the kids!

    ReplyDelete