Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Have You Filled a Bucket Today?

"Everyone has an invisible bucket.  You can't see it, but it's there"...This is one of my favorites!  Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud teaches children the concept of words and actions and their impacts on people.  When someone does something kind for someone else, it "fills up their bucket" with good thoughts and feelings.  But when someone does something unkind to someone else, it "dips out of their bucket."  Students can easily make the connection to real life.  I use this book in so many ways!!  Last year, I read this story to all grade levels as part of introduction to the counselor lesson.  All year long, students made references to the book as they noticed other students behaviors.  That really filled my bucket!  This year, I regretfully did not use the book with all grade levels, but I will definitely pick it back up again next year!  Not only does this book apply to classroom guidance lessons, but also in small groups or individual counseling sessions.  I use this book during my initial sessions in small groups (particularly in self-esteem, in-control, and anger management groups).  The students love it.  We then practice filling up someone's bucket.  Definitely one to add to your collection!

Below is my "paper" bucket in my room.  The flowers have bucket-fillers from my self esteem/friendship groups.


No comments:

Post a Comment